with the Telephone Preference Service and other ways
Stopping cold calls to mobile phones
- Register with the Telephone Preference service.
- Report every cold call to get the company banned or fined.
- Ask your telephone company to add call blocking services.
- Get a phone which blocks calls without a number and common numbers.
- Avoid being added to any mailing lists in the first place.
1. Register for free at the Telephone Preference Service.
Registering makes it illegal for companies to make unwanted sales calls to individuals.
- Or call: 0345 070 0707
- More information: http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/
- FAQ: http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/contactfaq.php
- Still getting calls: http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/stillgetcalls.html
Works for both individuals and companies.
2. Report every cold call to get the company banned or fined.
If you have spare time and energy then report the company to the relevant authorities. Ask the person calling for the company’s name and contact details (though they won’t necessarily tell you) and/or call 1471 after the call to find their number. Tell them very firmly that you are registered with the Telephone Preference Service and that it is illegal for them to call you, and instruct them to remove your number from their mailing list before putting the phone down.
The authorities do not do anything without being told a lot of times about the same companies (unfortunately because you would think they would take the initiative if they had the money to do so). So a lot of us need to report all the calls to make anything happen and help others too.
3. Ask your telephone company to add call blocking services.
Nearly all companies will have some type of call blocking service so ask them what they can do for you. They may be able to automatically block call from withheld numbers or add Caller ID so that your phone can block them instead.
4. Get a phone which blocks calls without a number and common numbers.
The newer phones can block calls when the caller withholds their number and some phones have a call blocking system where you can quickly stop any further calls from a known number.
5. Avoid being added to any mailing lists in the first place.
A lot of people accidentally or unintentially sign up to mailing lists by not unticking boxes when filling in forms from companies. The basic rule is: Whenever you fill in a form with your contact details always look for a box to tick or untick to say you do not want to be added to any mailing lists. Or better still, don’t give out your telephone number to anyone without there be a very good reason for them having it – tell them you don’t have a telephone number or fill in a non-working number if necessary. If a company asks you for your telephone number then they often assume it is OK to add it to their calling list so every time you give it someone then tell them not to add it to any mailing list and not to sell it on.